How do you clean your Le Creuset? I accidentally burned mirepoix and noticed some very light brown spots that Dawn and a sponge will not work on.

I have noticed stains (even when I just brown things) before that have disappeared after I do another dish, but I would prefer to get rid of them right away.

calendargirl
calendargirl January 14, 2013

I use a plastic scrubber (no metal)and elbow grease, after soaking for a while in hot water. For really stubborn stains or burned on food, I add a tablespoon or two of chlorine bleach to the hot soaking water and let the pot sit for 15-20 minutes. Sometimes you can actually watch as the stains disappear in a few minutes. But a stain or two isn't so bad and is evidence of a well-used and much loved pot.

calendargirl
calendargirl January 14, 2013

Oh, and be sure to rinse well after using bleach. I wouldn't use this in an aluminum pot, but for my Le Creuset dutch oven this method works beautifully.

Lindsay-Jean Hard January 14, 2013

You could also try some of the suggestions in these threads: http://food52.com/hotline... and http://food52.com/hotline...

Jill Murray
Jill Murray January 14, 2013

I use a little Bar Keepers Friend in mine. It works great for getting those brown spots out.

lvollm
lvollm January 14, 2013

barkeepers is great but careful using it on older enameled pieces - I ruined an old le creuset with barkeepers and over zealous scrubbing!

pierino January 14, 2013

First, appearance matters less than functionality. You can try boiling some white vinegar in there but in the end I would say don't sweat it---who else but you looks at the inside of your pots?

allie
allie January 14, 2013

Baking soda - make a paste and scrub.

allie
allie January 14, 2013

Baking soda - make a paste and scrub.

susanm
susanm January 14, 2013

i think the spots are how you show your love! a perfectly clean LC is one that's never been used. embrace the spots and call it "well seasoned".
P.S. mine are all a mess! and i love it!

bugbitten
bugbitten January 15, 2013

I think Le Creuset has cleaning suggestions on their website, or used to.

BreadBelly
BreadBelly January 21, 2013

Baking Soda,Baking Soda, Baking Soda!!
When I really screw up , And I do, lots, I cover the charred bottom with Baking Soda and then add H2O and boil it off while I wash the rest of the dishes . An air gap will form between the base of the pan & the Baking Soda / scum bussiness. I usaully use one of those long handled scrappy brushes to see if all of it came off . Normal this is good enough but having my skills it can last well into a second round .

Ginni Kelley
Ginni Kelley January 22, 2013

I make a paste with Baking Soda and Lemon juice ....works everytime!!