🔕 🔔

I browned ribs without oil in a large Le Creuset pot, and now the bottom of the pot is covered in black residue. Scrubbing with baking soda and dish detergent isn't effective. What else can I use, besides the Le Creuset cleaner, to clean the pot?

asked by mwb over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I would put baking soda, dish soap, and water, and heat if for awhile on low heat, then try to scrub it. The heat should help soften up the gunk.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I would try two things. First, fill the pot with water and set it to boil. That should boil off most of the residue. You may need to change the water a few times. Or pour boiling water from a tea kettle into the pot.

Second, use white vinegar. Allow the pot to soak in white vinegar for a couple of hours, then scrub with a plastic scrubby as to not damage the enamel.

If these two methods do not succeed, buy Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami (huge container for less than $1). It's basically diatamecous earth, and it should get rid of that black residue.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Add white vinegar to the pot and bring that almost to a boil. Use a wooden spoon to move the gunk off the bottom.

Failing that, Bon Ami works pretty well.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Hydrogen peroxide. A touch of baking soda. Heat it--it needs heat to make it react with the carbon.

This is especially great for sugar based carbon burned bits.

Yep, the boiling water and baking soda trick worked perfectly for me. I even forgot it on the stove and boiled it down to dry and figured I really messed it up now. Nope, put some hot water in there and everything came right off with a PLASTIC scaper. Phew!!!

Bf4d0de9 4110 4931 998e 93d3e62d1eeb  mwb crater lake
mwb

Thanks, all, for your helpful responses! I've tried all of them, except for the solution with hydrogen peroxide, with moderate success. I trust that I'll be able to get the pot (close to) completely clean in time.