I browned ribs without oil in a large Le Creuset pot, and now the bottom of the pot is covered in black residue. Scrubbing with baking soda and dish detergent isn't effective. What else can I use, besides the Le Creuset cleaner, to clean the pot?

• Posted by: mwb
  • February 17, 2011

hardlikearmour February 17, 2011

I would put baking soda, dish soap, and water, and heat if for awhile on low heat, then try to scrub it. The heat should help soften up the gunk.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee February 17, 2011

I would try two things. First, fill the pot with water and set it to boil. That should boil off most of the residue. You may need to change the water a few times. Or pour boiling water from a tea kettle into the pot.

Second, use white vinegar. Allow the pot to soak in white vinegar for a couple of hours, then scrub with a plastic scrubby as to not damage the enamel.

If these two methods do not succeed, buy Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami (huge container for less than $1). It's basically diatamecous earth, and it should get rid of that black residue.

pierino February 17, 2011

Add white vinegar to the pot and bring that almost to a boil. Use a wooden spoon to move the gunk off the bottom.

Failing that, Bon Ami works pretty well.

Voted the Best Reply!

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian February 17, 2011

I burned some orange peel I was candying a couple years ago in a Le Crueset that I didn't think was ever going to come off. The most successful thing I tried was to bring a bunch of water in the Crueset to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of vinegar (any kind will do, so go cheap). It will go all foamy on you like a science experiment and then subside. Let boil for about 1-2 minutes and turn off the heat. Let the water completely cool to room temperature and then try again to remove the burned stuff with a wooden implement. This works on all kinds of pots. And don't feel like you have to carefully measure the BS or V, I just pour them in to approximate the right amounts.

Jillian Farrel
Jillian Farrel October 25, 2014

Thank you SO much - this worked perfectly! In fact, my Le Crueset pot looks better than it has in years!

Sam1148 February 17, 2011

Hydrogen peroxide. A touch of baking soda. Heat it--it needs heat to make it react with the carbon.

This is especially great for sugar based carbon burned bits.

CaryNC
CaryNC February 18, 2011

Yep, the boiling water and baking soda trick worked perfectly for me. I even forgot it on the stove and boiled it down to dry and figured I really messed it up now. Nope, put some hot water in there and everything came right off with a PLASTIC scaper. Phew!!!

mwb
mwb February 20, 2011

Thanks, all, for your helpful responses! I've tried all of them, except for the solution with hydrogen peroxide, with moderate success. I trust that I'll be able to get the pot (close to) completely clean in time.