🔕 🔔

Making tamales with goose fat?

I don't have any lard on hand, but lots of goose fat leftover from the holidays. Has anyone made masa dough using goose instead of pork fat?

asked by jacksonholefoodie over 4 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I've never tried that, but it sounds fantastic.

07825364 abc5 42f5 bd7f f2a77f00dff0  20090907 jackson 8

There's only one way to find out! Will report back.

So...I had a little tamalada (tamale-making party) and we did a side by side comparison of goose fat vs. lard in the masa dough. The goose fat tamales were lighter, more crumbly, and had a more subtle flavor. This masa was especially good with the roasted turkey and epazote. The lard tamales were also delicious, but the dough was much more dense. The lard tamales paired well with more intensely-flavored fillings, like lamb and mole and mergeuz sausage. We also made sweet fig tamales, and used butter for the masa; these were by far my favorite!! If you have an abundance of goose fat on hand, I say go for it!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I knew those would be good! Thanks for reporting in.