🔕 🔔

goose confit questions

Making goose confit for the first time. Actually, it's my first time making confit of any kind.

The goose isn't very fatty, so if it doesn't make enough fat for the cooking time, can I add other animal fat? I'm guessing duck is best, but I may not have enough. How about Pork fat? Can I reuse the fat next time I make confit - I read somewhere that this is done, but I don't know if I actually read it or if it was in a dream.

How can I modify the recipe to make it have a longer shelf life? Cure the meat longer before cooking? The recipe I'm using only has it curing for 12 hours, but I won't be able to cook it for 24 at least. More salt mix? Longer cooking time?

I'm using the recipe from In The Charcuterie, but I'm also enjoying reading this article: https://food52.com/blog...

The recipes I see are for ducks, how do I adjust the cooking times for goose? I've jointed it, and halved the breast so the pieces are similar size. I know, I know, goose breast has better uses, however, the age of the goose is unknown (and they can live over 100 years when well cared for), so the book says that making confit tenderizes the meat.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Is it possible to cook this in the slow cooker? If so, what adjustments?

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Duck fat is better tasting than pork - in this case.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

There's no reason you can't supplement your goose fat with duck and/or pork. I kind of wish I'd thought of that one myself.

As for your other question, I do think I'd cure for a longer time. The Julia Child recipe I use calls for 24 hours, with an optional day or two longer. She says that if you want to keep the goose longer, to triple the salt mix (I don't know what your recipe is, but you get the idea--more salt + longer soaking). Realize that with those adjustments, you're going to have to soak the confit before eating, or it will be too salty.

As for cooking time, it's done when it's tender. You should be able to poke it with a sharp fork.

Have fun! I used to make goose confit every year.

Also--I don't use a slow cooker, but I do have a duck gizzard confit recipe that recommends 2-3 hours on top of the stove or in a 225F oven after slowly heating the fat (40 minutes), or 6 hours, on low in a partially covered slow cooker. Good luck with it!

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the answers. It's in the oven as we speak/type.

The recipe called for 2 tsp of salt mix per pound of meat, I used closer to 3 or 4 tsp per pound, and really rubbed it in. I love salt, salt is good. Salt is life.

Cured it for a day and a half, not because I meant to but because that's how long until I could get back to it. The meat felt nice and firm. Rinsed off the cure, then got it ready to cook.

I was right about not having enough duck fat. Only had three cups and I needed at least that much again. Thank goodness for pork fat.

It smells delicious! Looking forward to trying a taste tonight.

Now I'm thinking about using the salt mix and leftover fats for goat rillettes.

Good to know about the slowcooker. I think rillettes would be better cooked there than in the oven in the middle of summer.