🔕 🔔

Venison goulash recipe? and/or venison in NYC?

Had a stunning venison goulash in Berlin a couple nights ago: super tender, gamey but not excessively so, sauce well-balanced (not too tomato-y, winey, or paprika-y; just meaty and succulent). Any recipe suggestions? The spätzle and red cabbage with it were also super, but I know how to make those.... And on a related topic, any recommendations for venison preparations in NYC that isn't the likes of Daniel, Danube, etc.?

asked by ryanm about 4 years ago

Have I hit a record for number of views versus (absolute lack of) responses? If nothing else, I guess that makes me feel better in not knowing how to make a dish like this....

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Haha - well if I were you I would start with a search on goulash recipe, and then swap out the beef for venison. It sounds like something you can play with and adjust to suit your tastes, you might need more than one pass at it though. I am not in NYC so no help on where to get it there ...
how's that for a non-answer?

how's that for a non-answer?

Thanks, aargersi. I think this is indeed what I'll do, and hope for the best. (No doubt the trial runs will also be enjoyable, particularly as the weather in these parts seems to invite daily braising.) It's odd, and a shame, that in the US venison cooking/enjoyment seems to focused almost exclusively in hunting circles and fine dining ones, but very little in-between.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Venison loin at Public is worth a try.

Thanks, QueenSashy. Public looks great--I'd heard good things, and now this clinches it.