Venison goulash recipe? and/or venison in NYC?

Had a stunning venison goulash in Berlin a couple nights ago: super tender, gamey but not excessively so, sauce well-balanced (not too tomato-y, winey, or paprika-y; just meaty and succulent). Any recipe suggestions? The spätzle and red cabbage with it were also super, but I know how to make those.... And on a related topic, any recommendations for venison preparations in NYC that isn't the likes of Daniel, Danube, etc.?

• Posted by: ryanm
  • January 23, 2013

ryanm
ryanm January 24, 2013

Have I hit a record for number of views versus (absolute lack of) responses? If nothing else, I guess that makes me feel better in not knowing how to make a dish like this....

aargersi January 24, 2013

Haha - well if I were you I would start with a search on goulash recipe, and then swap out the beef for venison. It sounds like something you can play with and adjust to suit your tastes, you might need more than one pass at it though. I am not in NYC so no help on where to get it there ...
how's that for a non-answer?

aargersi January 24, 2013

how's that for a non-answer?

ryanm
ryanm January 24, 2013

Thanks, aargersi. I think this is indeed what I'll do, and hope for the best. (No doubt the trial runs will also be enjoyable, particularly as the weather in these parts seems to invite daily braising.) It's odd, and a shame, that in the US venison cooking/enjoyment seems to focused almost exclusively in hunting circles and fine dining ones, but very little in-between.

QueenSashy January 24, 2013

Venison loin at Public is worth a try.

ryanm
ryanm January 24, 2013

Thanks, QueenSashy. Public looks great--I'd heard good things, and now this clinches it.