May I use a jalapeño as a substitute for serrano?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

Yes, you can actually use just about any other fresh green chile. Just check and make sure that the chile has enough heat. Lately, I've been finding only mild bland jalapenos with almost no heat to them.

SeaJambon

And always, use gloves when handling the peppers. I forgot with a serrano this summer and the acid "burnt" my fingers just like it can burn your tongue. Interestingly, the same remedy (milk) helped (soaking my finger in milk, that is).

D. Rao

Whie there may be some acid in a pepper, it's the capsaicin that burned your hand.