🔕 🔔

My chili is too acidic - what can I add?

I made it with: bison, onion, red pepper, jalapeño, chipotles in adobo, lots of cumin, can of tomatoes, can of black beans. I think it might just be the brand of tomatoes I used, but any tips for balancing the flavor a bit??

asked by UhOhSarah almost 4 years ago

Or honey. Or maybe even BBQ sauce that's on the sweet side. Don't know if adding sauteed red peppers would be sweet enough, but I like those in chile for the flavor and nutrients.

You could try adding a touch of honey or molasses. Another idea would be to saute some diced sweet potato and then add that to the mix. You could do the same thing with frozen corn. Not necessarily conventional, but if acidity is a real prob, it could help the balance.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

You've probably already eaten your chili, but if not, you can directly neutralize acid by adding baking soda (which is of course a weak base). This works for all kinds of overly acidic foods, just stir in a little pinch at a time until you've knocked the acid back to a level you prefer.

Bea

Baking soda works, but no more than 1 teaspoon per pot. This works in a pot of tomatoes sauce as well