🔕 🔔

Green jalapeños

Our wonderful CSA farmers gave us a bag full of green jalapeños. Last night, we made a big batch of escabeche, which used about 2 pounds of them, but we still have a good three pounds left. Any ideas on how to use them or preserve them? My last-ditch effort was going to be to roast and freeze them for later use, but if anyone has a more creative suggestion, I'm all ears.

asked by petitbleu about 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

You could pickle them. Here's an easy pickling recipe
http://www.foodnetwork...

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

We did that already--the escabeche we made contains jalapeños, onions, carrots, and garlic. And as yummy as it is, now that we have 4 quarts of it, I think we should try something else. Thanks, though!

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

We usually mince our spare jalapeños, wrap the individually in small pieces of plastic wrap and put them in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. Some we leave the seeds in and others we'll remove the seeds. It is handy to have a few all ready to go. We do the same with other chiles, too. We also roast and freeze our 40-60 pound autumn windfall of green chiles, freezing 2 of them in each snack-size bag.

272d72fa 27b1 4b4b b42f 0132f79e5d38  46a45ad9 247f 48c1 a5a5 1975acc94a0b 12

I was swamped with jalapeños from the garden this summer and was looking for a recipe that used lots. This one is fantastic, I ended up canning almost a dozen jars and everybody raves about them http://www.simplyrecipes... Recipe does not say anything about canning but I processed them in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes

Why don't you chop them and freeze them in extra virgin olive oil in an ice cube mold (as it was suggested in the kitchn's post for keeping fresh herbs), and then u can use them for finishing soups, sauces, meat, etc?