🔕 🔔

Is pork shoulder blade the same as pork butt? It's specifically country style ribs

asked by WannabeBaker about 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Yes - same

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Pork shoulder blade *roast* is the same as a pork butt (butt and picnic being the two main roasts from the shoulder), however, like many marketing terms, "country-style ribs" is not a precise, definitive term. You'll find them cut from the shoulder, in which case they're not really ribs (telltale shoulder bone or boneless). Or they could be cut the way they're supposed to be cut, from the rib end of the loin (should have actual ribs and say "loin" on package).

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

ChefOno brings up the same thought I was intending to address. The butt/shoulder is the primal section where these two "roasts" come from. But, and that's a big ole butt, the blade will most likely still have bone. And exactly as Ono noted "country style ribs" covers a multitude of sins. Typically in a supermarket style foam package these are boneless. I'm still a bit baffled by the tag "crown roast" which would indeed be a different part of the animal from the shoulder.

Thanks guys! I just need them for pulled pork, so it's not a big deal that they're not really ribs. They definitely have a lot of fat in them, so I think they're fine for pulled pork.

Ha, the crown roast tag is an accident - I think the only thing I wrote is pork. Not sure how it got on there.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

All nicely illustrated here http://www.virtualweberbullet...