🔕 🔔

How best to store vegetable oil?

I know dark cool place, what about the refrigerator?

asked by Brendanmshea over 4 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The colder the environment, the slower oxidization occurs. Oxidization = rancidity = free radicals = cancer. Not to mention loss of nutrients and taste. The less saturated the oil, the more this applies. Also, the less refined the oil is, the more potential for damage over time. So, yes, refrigeration is best. How practical or necessary that may be is another question.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I keep mine in a cool, dark corner of my pantry and have never had a problem. I go through it relatively quickly though- if you're talking long-term storage, you may want to refrigerate. But for at least a few months, I've never had a problem with the pantry storage!