A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Wholefoods user icon

Peanut oil is usually best for frying, but anything with a neutral taste and high smoke point will work (canola, grapeseed, or safflower are great).

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

Yes, you do want a high smoke point and grapeseed would be my first choice. After that canola.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I'm going to disagree pretty much completely here (with all due respect of course). To begin with, cutlets don't need to be fried at high temperature. My fat of choice is usually butter for its flavor. But that wasn’t the question…

When it comes to neutral flavor and high smoke point, I'm a fan of peanut oil. (To be clear, I'm talking about refined peanut oil although it probably won't say so on the container given today's naïve irrationality about the terms "refined" and "processed". You can also buy unrefined oil which reeks of peanuts so don't get confused.)

Grape seed oil is mostly polyunsaturated and almost all of that is linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. High consumption of omega-6 oils has been shown to inhibit the body's ability to process alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) fatty acids.

Additionally, grape seed oil oxidizes quickly releasing carcinogenic free radicals in the process. The process is greatly accelerated at high temperatures meaning it's definitely not a good oil for frying despite its high smoke point.

Canola oil stinks like old fish when heated. (I've been told the ability to detect the smell is genetic so even if you can't smell it, odds are some of your guests can.)

0836a8da c563 43eb 9e88 6aecdafe709b  stringio

I make a mixture of bread crumbs of which I
Add sesame seeds...more is better. Second mixture is eggs mixed with tablespoon mayo and teaspoon Dijon . Dip cutlet in eggs then crumbs are fry.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

That sounds wonderful, Ronna! Like ChefOno, I prefer either butter or refined peanut oil. In fact, I fried some breaded chicken cutlets in peanut oil the other night because I had some handy and they were delicious.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I've been using rice bran oil lately for pan-frying b/c of it's high smoke point, neutral flavor, and health benefits, and have been perfectly happy with it.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Thanks for asking this question, fhp. Hope your dinner was great. For general info, here's an oil comparison chart from Eating Rules,
http://www.eatingrules...

fhp

Everybody..Thanks so much. So heres what I did. I four pork loin cutlets which I pounded and then breaded using two different techniques: 1. flour-egg-crumb and 2. egg-crumb. Then I fried one of each in butter (ala Milanese) in one pan and peanut in another. I preferred the crispness and the dryness of the peanut fried cutlet that had been floured-egged and crumbed. We ate them with tomatoes and rocket and lemon. I also fried some sage leaves with anchovy paste sandwiched between the leaves and dipped in a simple flour-water mixture of Marcella Hazan.
Thanks to everybody for your insights and opinions. Chris that chart is a keeper.
Chef Ono, I know what you mean about Canola Oil and that is basically why I posed the question.

I vote for peanut oil. It was One of Julia Child's favorites as well.

fhp

Ha! Ha! and OMG!
After all that! Turns out that the flour I used to dredge the cutlets was Trader Joe's Buttermilk Pancake Mix that my sister had put in a container. Fortunately I didn't give the two "winners" much of a dredging but still...