🔕 🔔

I find that something citrus after something spicy is really good. Esp if it has seafood. I used to like to make tangerine mousse. I think it was from Chez Panisse Desserts.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Bananas Foster !
(google it if you don't know it)

420908ad 651e 46ac b88a 9cfbd6c602e3  open uri20141010 31964 ysrmyy

Something filing for those who aren't keen on seafood. So banan forester sounds good. Pr a spicy brownie

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I agree with nutcakes about citrus. If you can get Meyer lemons, try this tart: http://food52.com/recipes...
It's super easy and delicious.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Are you staying with a New Orleans theme? That takes my thoughts to bread pudding - this one (a contest winner!) is also citrus - I have made it and it's great, and much lighter than a typical bread pudding:
http://food52.com/recipes...

but there are loads of choices out there.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

If you are thinking New Orleans, you could make (or purchase) some pralines, maybe serve them crumbled over a scoop of ice cream? Perhaps with a splash of bourbon, if you're so inclined.

Banana Pudding!

for a true New Orleans finale, how about Beignets served with chicory coffee?

I love the beignets at Cafe du Monde along with the chicory coffee. But that's really more of a breakfast thing than a dessert.

Years ago I loved to eat at a Cajun restaurant in Bethesda, Maryland. My favorite meal was jambalaya, a beer straight from Louisiana, and bread pudding studded with raisins and napped in bourbon sauce. Oh, I can almost taste it now! They also made some of the best beignets I’ve ever eaten, but that was a morning treat. Good thing the restaurant is no more, because I don’t think my waistline could take it.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Maedl - that restaurant is no more, but some of the people opened another on the other side of Bethesda which isn't the same, but isn't bad.

What's the name? I'm intrigued!

Oh, my goodness! I just googled and found Louisiana Kitchen, successor to Louisiana Express. This is truly dangerous--the jambalaya and beignets are still there, as is the pecan bread pudding with the whiskey sauce. Don't know why I thought it was a bourbon sauce--I know the difference!

Cool! I'll have to check I out! I was eating at cafe du monde a month ago (which feels like yesterday but also forever in beignet time--haha) soill have to see how they compare. Thanks maedl/healthier kitchen

7c089efe a4be 4a7f b214 4de164b761b1  img 4628 22 copy
Virginia Willis

Southern born Virginia Willis is a French-trained chef, food writer, and content creator. Her latest cookbook, Lighten Up, Y'all: Classic Southern Recipes Made Healthy and Wholesome received a James Beard Award of Excellence in 2016.

As jambalaya is so spicy and flavorful, I suggest a full-flavored dessert, as well. If you want to stay with a Creole theme you could make a boozy Bananas Foster or try this Banana Foster Banana Pudding I developed for Taste of the South magazine.
http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine...
I would also suggest something chocolate-based like Chocolate Cake or Chocolate Bread Pudding. One way or the other, you're going to want something pretty intents to stand up to the jambalaya. Bon Appetit, Y'all! Virginia Willis

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream has a recipe for bourbon vanilla ice cream! Delicious!