Suggestions on how use leftover cream? Not desserts

Made a dessert that required cream and have about a cup left. Would like to do a non dessert

• Posted by: Lara
  • August 8, 2016

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner August 8, 2016

You can culture it with a spoonful of plain yogurt, then leave it uncovered or loosely covered with cheesecloth overnight (or longer, depending) to make creme fraiche.

HalfPint August 8, 2016

I'd make pasta. Heat the cream until it thickens, add chopped herbs, fresh grated cheese, and/or sundried tomatoes. Toss in hot pasta. Season with salt & pepper. Serve hot.

PHIL
PHIL August 8, 2016

I am with HalfPint, quickest , easiest way is to make a pasta. You will use it all up in one shot. Cream is a nice neutral base you can build any sauce around, you could even make Vodka sauce.

pierino August 8, 2016

Still more on the pasta angle; in the classic sauce Bolognese milk or cream is used to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. This is a mixed meat sauce; beef, veal sometimes chopped mortadella. Use a light hand with both the cream and the tomatoes.

Lara
Lara August 8, 2016

Thanks. I thought of that but just seems heavy for summer eating ...

PHIL
PHIL August 8, 2016

Pasta primavera is summery dish. Or lemon cream or even better pesto cream sauce is a great summer dish

SMSF
SMSF August 8, 2016

Make a delicious, decadent quiche! This from Joanna Chang via Fine Cooking:
http://www.finecooking...

Valhalla
Valhalla August 8, 2016

I use cream in my quiches. A tart like this would be a similar use, with the vegetables on top instead of inside: http://www.epicurious.com...

Ben McCulloch
Ben McCulloch August 8, 2016

I use cream when I am baking eggs. I normally take squash slice into matchsticks and salt. Squeeze water out put in ramekin add 1 to 2 T of cream, pepper maybe cheese. Add an egg and bake 350 F for 12 minutes or so. Makes a quick and tasty part of meal.

Nancy August 8, 2016

make Jim Beard's baking powder biscuits with cream (calls for heavy cream, but any will do).
Rich but not too rich.
http://emerils.com/125913/james-beards-cream-biscuits
Serve as is with chicken stew, as dumplings on soup, with smoked fish.
Or with jam, if that's not too close to a dessert.

ktr
ktr August 8, 2016

These cream biscuits on this site are good and use 1-1 1/2 cups of cream. https://food52.com/recipes...

dinner at ten
dinner at ten August 8, 2016

Or, you can freeze it for when you really want to use it. Cream freezes really well, even remaining whippable after thawing.

Lara
Lara August 8, 2016

How do you freeze it? In ice cube tray?

dinner at ten
dinner at ten August 8, 2016

Freeze it in whatever volume you think you'll use at one time (I currently have a few 1/2 cup portions in jars in my freezer). I haven't tried re-freezing it, but suspect multiple freeze-thaw cycles might start to affect the quality of the cream.

PHIL
PHIL August 8, 2016

I use ice crude trays all the time , then you have nice portions as needed. But just go ahead and make some pasta!

caninechef
caninechef August 9, 2016

Thank you for the tip to freeze cream, I have never tried that. And I am always annoyed at recipes that call for 1-2 tablespoons of cream. Up to now they have always seemed very impractical as I do not routinely stock cream.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl August 10, 2016

Make a cold soup, like a puréed tomato or zucchini or vichyssoise soup, or a cold gazpacho. Whip the cream and top each serving with a spoonful of the cream and a sprinkle of flaked salt and herbs. Let the cream slowly melt into the soup while you eat it lazily under a ceiling fan.

Susan
Susan August 13, 2016

Make butter....put cream, any amount into your processor and turn it on (just don't walk away).
First it will make whipped cream then you will be left with butter in about 10 minutes or less. Add salt if you would like. Also when it is finished, take butter out and rinse it off quickly under cold water. Best butter you will ever taste.