Chili powder without cumin

Hey guys, I want to try my hand at making chili. The recipe I've got calls for a ton of chili powder, such as Gebhardt's. However, from what I've seen, Gebhardt's has cumin in it, and I HATE cumin! (Yes, I'm planning on leaving out the actual cumin the recipe also calls for). Does anyone know of a good commercial chili powder that does not contain cumin or have a recipe for chili powder that doesn't include cumin?

asked by WannabeBaker over 3 years ago
A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Simple: Look for ground Ancho chile.

Simple: Look for ground Ancho chile. Prepared chili powders may contain garlic, Mexican oregano, cayenne and / or paprika in addition to cumin so you may want to adjust your other seasonings a little, but straight ancho will get you what you're looking for.

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

New Mexico's famous "Chimayo" chili powder is sold on the web. It makes all the other powders look and taste like ... well, you know where I'm going with that one! Do a search for it and you'll find it readily available. Chimayo is just the other side of the mountain from here and I go there often, so I buy mine there. Don't know how the internet suppliers are, but I'm sure you can get it in its pure state. When you get it, put it in a glass jar (dark glass if you have one) and keep it in a dark, cool place. The 'fridge is okay, but not necessary. It'll keep for a year if you don't use it up sooner. I add a little to scrambled (or deviled) eggs and in place of paprika most everywhere. Chimayo, incidentally, was the original chile-producing area in New Mexico, pre-dating even Columbus! The strains of chile grown there are the very best in the country. Yes, Hatch, NM has some good ones, but Chimayo chiles are even better!
Oh, and PS: I know lots of folks that are not fond of cumino, so you're in good company there. However, if you get the chance, buy some fresh cumin seeds and grind them to a powder in a spice grinder. If the intoxicating citrus-like aroma of fresh ground cumino does not make a believer of you, try just a pinch in any recipe that calls for a teaspoon. It just might change your mind!

Try www.mildbills.com lots of different fried chiles powdered. I use it for competition chili.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank goodness! I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who hated cumin...

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

You are not alone! A little cumin goes a looong way, IMHO!