🔕 🔔

restaurant recommendation in Phoenix

Next weekend I'll be in Phoenix for one night only, and would love a restaurant recommendation. I'll be staying near the Celebrity theater, on 32nd near Van Buren St. Don't care if it's high-end or a hole-in-the-wall; just want a great meal with great service. I've also asked on chowhound, but I thought I'd see what my fellow food 52-ers (there has to be a better moniker than that!) have to say. Thx in advance!

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

I've always wanted to plan a trip to Phoenix on Pizzeria Bianco's reputation alone: http://www.pizzeriabianco...

I will second Kristen's rec for Chris Bianco's place. Some people consider it to be the pizzeria in the US. I would be one of them.
I would also mention Roaring Fork on N.Scottsdale Rd. if it's still there. They moved to a really bad, almost underground location.
And I'll add Durant's on Central for a real old time feel. Dark, very dark with leatherette banquettes. It will take your eyes at least five minutes to adjust so that you can read the menu. Light rail stops outside.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kristen. Incidentally, I just realized I made an error: we'll be staying near the airport, and heading TO the Celebrity Theater, if it makes a difference in terms of what's convenient.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

There's a blogger who writes about Phoenix restaurants-- maybe something here will strike your fancy: http://www.skilletdoux...
You could probably ask him for a recommendation.

I ate last March a restaurant named Noca. It was excellent in both service and food. Here's a link: http://restaurantnoca.com...

It's an unpretentious place that's located in a strip mall off Camelback Rd..

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Allow me to add that the motto on the state license plate should be "The Car Crash State." Running red lights is the state blood sport and during the many times I've traveled through the corridor between Phoenix and Tucson I've seen many ghastly wrecks. Official statistics back me up on this. So drive carefully. Don't assume that if you have a green light that you have the right of way.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the tip, Pierino. I'll be sure to drive carefully. :)

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

By the way, do you think Pizzeria Bianco will have a wait list a mile long on a Saturday night? I assume that they don't take reservations, but maybe I should check on that...(haven't made a final decision yet, but P.B. is definitely a contender).

Pizzeria Bianco always has a long wait line although they have a wine bar/cafe to chill for awhile. This time of year they are typically very busy because all of the "snow birds" are flocking to AZ.