An Abundance of Blood Oranges

A box of 4 dozen blood oranges just arrived on our doorstep. There's just two of us, we're in Pakistan, and it's the wrong season for a bit party on the terrace with buckets of sangria. Ideas needed before they go bad!

asked by Melusine over 5 years ago

IlovePhilly

You can make preserved oranges! I have a recipe on my blog, but the gist is to salt them, submerge them in their own juices and mix in a good amount of lemon juice. Make sure the oranges stay completely submerged in the juice (check regularly) and keep them at room temp out of sunlight for a month or so. The liquid will be viscous and clousy and the peels will be soft and smooth when they're ready. When you're done, you'll have the world's tastiest citrus condiment! The peels are the desired eating, but there are tons of uses for the flesh and juice too!

Do you use the preserved oranges in the same way you would use preserved lemons?

IlovePhilly

Pretty much! They are a bit sweeter, so they aren't quite as versatile.

Here is a wonderful recipe for blood orange marmalade http://food52.com/recipes...
You can juice them and freeze in ice cube trays and store in ziplock bags too.

You can also zest them and freeze that also, how lucky you are I love blood oranges,

FWIW, that Blood Orange Marmalade is kick-a$$! I am making it again this year at the request of not only me, but also friends who ate it last year.

You can slice them very thinly and dry them in a low (250) oven for several hours. The dried oranges can be ground with spices, or in a finishing salt, or crunched up over salads, veggies, whatever.

You could make a fresh pitcher of the juice and add seltzer - refreshing!

Pastry Craft

Try a quick saute of your blood oranges, maybe combined with other citrus. Recipe here. http://www.pastrycraftseattle...

rosalind5

If you have the tequila and triple sec, a blood orange margarita is a very wonderful thing.

kvass2

actually a tad sweet but great colour .

kvass2

actually a tad sweet but great colour .

Stevie Wonder

Try making blood orange and Campari jelly! Its a Gordon Ramsey recipe which I've made a few times.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I recently made this blood orange and Prosecco jelly and love it!!
http://em-i-lis.com/wordpress...

Bevi

Use in a citrus vinaigrette - lovely!

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Bevi, you inspired me and tonight I made a vinaigrette by blending the juice of 1 blood orange with five cloves of roasted garlic, a knob of creme fraiche, some olive oil, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of coriander. Delicious!!!!

Bevi

That sounds amazing! I am going to make it!
Thanks for the details!

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I LOVE to use blood orange peel as the garnish in my negronis. The oils in the peel taste fabulous in the cocktail. Happy cooking, I am jealous of your surplus!

Melusine

Seriously yum -- all of the suggestions. I stumbled across Food 52 about two years ago -- what a happy accident!

Melusine

dymnyno

You can make a confit with the oranges. The recipe is in Francis Mallmann's Seven Fires. It is wonderful to use in braises and stews.