Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Help with instructions blood orange reduction

I have a question about the recipe "Proscuttio Wrapped Chicken Stuffed w/ Feta & Mint -- Doused in a 3-Day Blood Orange Reduction" from coffeefoodwritergirl. I found this recipe and am intrigued by the "sauce". I have access to alot of Blood oranges ripening right now and would like to make this. I am confused by the "peeled and skinned" blood oranges. Do you peel off the zest to use and throw away the pith? Do you supreme the segments and throw away the "skin"? Why don't you "peel and skin" the regular orange? Maybe you just chop everything up, cook, then strain later? I am probably making too much out of this, but I'm not sure what it is supposed to be like when finished - chunky, or smooth?

asked by Crj 9 months ago
21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

i can't access that recipe because it is 1AM on the East Coast of U.S. and 52's computers seem to be doing some clean-up. Sorry. All I CAN say is that there are MANY 52 recipes that come up if you go to the Recipes page and do a search under "feta and blood orange" and one for a chicken by a different author? which just calls for reducing blood orange juice- to concentrate its flavor.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

It's pretty straight-forward. It takes 5 hours, not 3 days. "And, okay, I admit the blood orange reduction didn’t really take three days to make; just three evenings of about 1 ½ to 2 hours each – basically you just want to cook the sauce down for about 5 hours – more if you can. But 5 hours should do it. The sauce is pretty basic; and once you make it; you can use it for other things"

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

I haven't seen the recipe but would guess peeled and skinned means remove the peel and the membrane around each segment.
Lucky you to have access to all those blood oranges.