🔕 🔔

My Vietnamese shrimp recipe calls for corn starch Can I use flour instead ? Or something else ?

asked by katei over 4 years ago

what are you making?

vietnamese style shrimp cakes

Flour should be fine then.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would consider arrowroot powder.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

You have to be careful substituting flour for cornstarch: Flour has half the thickening power and tends to taste like what it is, raw flour. The best substitute depends on the temperature the dish will be cooked to and the other ingredients. Arrowroot or tapioca maybe…

For Vietnamese fish cakes, I believe the cornstarch is there for texture, not thickening. That's why I think the flour should be ok. It might not produce the same texture, but it should work to a certain extent. I figured that since katei does not have cornstarch, chances are he/she does not have the arrowroot or tapioca starch either.

oops, that should be 'shrimp' not 'fish' cakes.

I wasn't disagreeing with you HalfPint, only suggesting caution which I guess wasn’t necessary since apparently you were one step ahead of me. If you know anything about Vietnamese shrimp cakes you know more than I do.