Can I use corn flour instead of cornmeal in a cornbread recipe? (I have no polenta or corn of any kind, either)

I have a very easy, very forgiving recipe but always used cornmeal. I happen to have corn flour handy and no cornmeal.

asked by sydney over 3 years ago

carlito

Cornstarch is sometimes called corn flour and so is a very fine ground of cornmeal. If yours is the latter, it could be used for cornbread. It will be less crumbly than cornbread made with cornmeal or fresh corn.

sydney

Thanks!

nancy essig

Corn starch is NOT corn flour. Corn flour is like all flours, the whole grain ground fine. Corn starch is a processed corn product used for thickening. It is not exchangeable for corn flour and corn flour is not exchangeable for corn meal.

carlito

Hi nancy - yes of course, I agree! I have seen corn starch be called corn flour and seen corn flour as very fine ground of the whole grain so I was encouraging zelda to make a distinction between the two. I have had success using corn flour in place of corn meal, but I agree it's not directly exchangeable. Thanks for the reply!