🔕 🔔

need recipe for egg free matzo balls

I need a recipe for egg free matzo balls. They do not need to be vegan/or veg, I just need to replace the function of the egg. I've tried using egg replacer, which was not a hit and not delicious. I want to boil them.

Anything tried and true?

asked by Joree over 4 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Great question -- this tutorial looks helpful but uses egg replacer, so probably not what you're looking for: http://bonzaiaphrodite...

Since you don't need it to be vegetarian, I'd be inclined to up the schmaltz factor -- but I've never tried this, so I don't know if schmaltz alone would hold them together.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Consider yogurt to replace the egg.

Google turned up the post below, which also links to an article where mashed potatoes are used in pace of egg.
http://blogs.kcrw.com/goodfood...

interesting! will have to try the potato--I will use chicken fat instead of vegetable oil. thank you!

I just found THIS recipe which uses aquafaba (chickpea water) I'm going to give it a go :) http://www.tabletmag.com...

I've successfully used soft tofu, same liquid volume as eggs in original recipe, whipped, as a replacement in cakes and other baking. They may work in the matzo balls. If you can use legumes, do a test batch with soft tofu mixed with the other ingredients and boiled as usual.