🔕 🔔

whole ground flaxseed meal as egg replacer

I recently purchased a bag of flaxseed meal to use as a vegan binder. The package recommends 1 T. meal plus 3 T. water to equal one egg. Does anyone have any pointers with using flaxmeal as an egg replacer? Thanks!

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 6 years ago

10e51050 649e 4a85 8af7 2b896997a1c4  image rcfbkcspubjytgbefpoq lrg

I u

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I use ground flaxseed all the time. What I have to pay attention to, especially when baking, is the amount of oil I use because it ends up being less oil. http://www.ehow.com/how_5864508_bake... has some good information. Hope this helps.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I find it also helps to mix the ground flaxseed with hot water (not quite boiling), then let it cool before using. It seems to combine better into the jelly consistency you're looking for.

Fae0d6f7 8a18 416a 87a4 62ef806db1e7  41527 674956185 319240 n

Building on Syronai's input, typically I let a room temperature water+flax mixture rest for 10-15 minutes before adding it to a batter. If you remember to mix it first, as you're setting out your ingredients, it will usually be ready when you need it.

As well, I store ground flax seed in an air tight container in the fridge so that it has a longer shelf life before going rancid. Alternatively, next time you could purchase whole flax seed, store it in a cupboard, and grind only as much as you need.

Agree with Syronai and macollins - great points. I grind my own flaxseed and store it in the freezer which extends shelf life even longer.

By the way, you can use whole or ground chia seed in the same way. It's great if you combine chia and flax, since it gives your baking a whole-grain flavor and texture.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Thank you everyone, this is great information!