whole ground flaxseed meal as egg replacer

I recently purchased a bag of flaxseed meal to use as a vegan binder. The package recommends 1 T. meal plus 3 T. water to equal one egg. Does anyone have any pointers with using flaxmeal as an egg replacer? Thanks!

JessieLK
JessieLK March 23, 2011

I u

SKK March 23, 2011

I use ground flaxseed all the time. What I have to pay attention to, especially when baking, is the amount of oil I use because it ends up being less oil. http://www.ehow.com/how_5864508_bake... has some good information. Hope this helps.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery March 23, 2011

I find it also helps to mix the ground flaxseed with hot water (not quite boiling), then let it cool before using. It seems to combine better into the jelly consistency you're looking for.

macollins
macollins March 23, 2011

Building on Syronai's input, typically I let a room temperature water+flax mixture rest for 10-15 minutes before adding it to a batter. If you remember to mix it first, as you're setting out your ingredients, it will usually be ready when you need it.

As well, I store ground flax seed in an air tight container in the fridge so that it has a longer shelf life before going rancid. Alternatively, next time you could purchase whole flax seed, store it in a cupboard, and grind only as much as you need.

SKK March 23, 2011

Agree with Syronai and macollins - great points. I grind my own flaxseed and store it in the freezer which extends shelf life even longer.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery March 23, 2011

By the way, you can use whole or ground chia seed in the same way. It's great if you combine chia and flax, since it gives your baking a whole-grain flavor and texture.

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna March 23, 2011

Thank you everyone, this is great information!