How do I make a vegan bread pudding? Specifically, what do I use instead of eggs?

I typically make my bread pudding with soy milk and vegan butter substitute but I don't know what to do re: the eggs when I'm making the dish completely vegan. Is there anything that I can use instead of eggs? Can I just make the custard without eggs?

jilhil
jilhil January 10, 2013

I use almond milk (soy is fine too) without any eggs then add finely chopped apple to give it some additional body. I also have a recipe that I haven't tried yet that calls for adding a can of pumpkin, which should do a nice job of eliminating any need for eggs.

Ann_B
Ann_B January 10, 2013

You can probably use Ener-g Egg replacer (supposedly good for baking) or applesauce.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese January 10, 2013

I've been looking into this myself lately. First off are you planing to bake or boil the pudding?

Baking might work better for a vegan bread pudding as it dose not cook as long or as violently as a boiled pud. You could probably use a binder like bananas, apple sauce or flaxseed.

The more traditional boiling method for bread pudding is a bit tricky. The egg/milk makes a custard that binds everything together, so finding a vegan equivalent for this is where I'm having problems. I asked Vegan author Sarah Kramer about this and she suggested that Coconut milk would give a more creamy texture than other vegan milk substitutes. She also suggested that tapioca might work as a binder for the pudding, but I'm not sure how to make it work.

For a boiled pudding, maybe heat up the spice and milk to near boiling, then remove from heat, add bread, and leave the bread to soak up the milk until completely cool. This should reduce the necessary boiling time to about 20-30 min at full boil (from the traditional 1 to 3 hours).

If anyone comes up with a good (soy free) vegan boiled bread pudding, please let me know right away. I really want to make this for my vegan friends.

ATG117
ATG117 January 13, 2013

You can skip the egg, though the taste will naturally be different. I would probably also decrease the amount of liquid you add.

Nancy July 21, 2014

As another substitute for eggs in baking - sweet or savory - I use soft tofu, buzzed in a blender or processor. Be sure to check with label or store clerk for "soft" type. Works like a dream.

Panfusine
Panfusine July 21, 2014

I usually use this vegan formula for an egg substitute.. 1 egg = 1 tablespoon finely ground flax meal + 3 tablespoons of warm water.. Just whip the flax & water together and add to the recipe