🔕 🔔

Making a Thai curry dish and my palm sugar is hard as a rock.

Microwaving doesn't help. Do I toss it? Substitute brown sugar or something else?

asked by jacksonholefoodie almost 5 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

You recipe probably has some liquid component - maybe melt the amount of sugar you need in that liquid.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

yes, that's what i would say, after maybe trying a hammer and a plastic bag. Also google 'softening hard sugar'; couple of good ideas that i used a few yrs ago but just can't remember now,sorry.

forgot to say, palm sugar not essential. white or light brown will do.never a need to 'toss' sugar. google is your frend.

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I've used a microplane and grated palm sugar

07825364 abc5 42f5 bd7f f2a77f00dff0  20090907 jackson 8

I thank you, and my antelope curry thanks you!!

Wholefoods user icon

I haven't worked with palm sugar but when my jaggery hardens like that, I heat it in the microwave for short intervals of 15-20 seconds until it softens enough for me to break off a piece.

Wholefoods user icon

Whoops! I clicked over from the sidebar and therefore did not read that "microwaving does not help." Sorry!

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

microwave for for 10 to 15 seconds

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

We always use a grater (like a standard cheese grater) to shave off manageable pieces of the sugar. Then, we dissolve it in hot liquid of some kind before adding to the dish.