CAN I HAVE A WITNESS?!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here , but I have just finished entering the most complex recipe(not difficult, just complex)I have ever entered on 52. Curried Lentil Hand Pies, for the Cheap Feast recipe contest. It has FOUR sections- the filling, the dough, the assembly and the baking.AIEEEEEE!!
It took four hours to enter and edit it, but I am relieved to say, I have done did it!!!And Sisters, <<>> AAAAmen.

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere March 6, 2013

A job well done!

AntoniaJames March 6, 2013

Wow, that's a great looking recipe, and well worth the edit. Have you tried typing all your text into a Word document, and then using the control commands to lift it from the doc into the recipe template? This allows you to avoid having to select the measurement types from the drop down menu for each ingredient. I.e., you can select, copy and paste into the ingredient name field the number + measure + ingredient (such as "1 1/2 cup flour") in a single step. ;o)

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 6, 2013

yes, that's exactly how i started doing it last year.so much easier than having to deal w/ that time wasting drop down window! i actually cut and paste the recipe into the top directions box and then lift the parts from there into the recipe lines . still, w/ all that, FOUR hours. yikers. i think it's because i keep clarifying/improving the directions. sigh.

AntoniaJames March 7, 2013

Yes, I totally understand. For the past year or so, I've been waiting to post my recipes until I've actually tested at least once from my own hard copy first draft (or often, after testing my second hard copy, pre-posting draft). You should see some of the handwritten notes on some of those drafts. I tweak and edit, and edit and tweak, and only then do I upload it. (I have a crazy, scarily-unpredictable laptop that plays games with me, freezing at the most inopportune times, e.g., two minutes before an important conference call, or while I'm posting a detailed recipe . . . so the act of posting itself makes me really nervous!) I cannot imagine going through that for 4 hours. I'd have a stroke. ;o)

sdebrango March 7, 2013

Monumental and it is a work of art, gorgeous recipe.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice March 7, 2013

Brava! That is a time consuming recipe entering project! Hats off to you. :)

pierino March 7, 2013

Un applauso! And to echo sentiments expressed above, it is best to put your recipe first into Word and then cut and paste. Lately the Food52 algorithms have been on a crime spree. You don't want to spend 3 1/2 hours typing your recipe step by step only to see it vanish---which can happen. Or in the case of two part recipes, become scrambled beyond your own recognition.

creamtea March 7, 2013

who'd ever guess how long it can take to get a recipe just right, clear and concise, replicable, etc. (let alone balanced flavors, good texture, etc.)

wssmom
wssmom March 7, 2013

Nice work!!!

Andrea Nguyen
Andrea Nguyen March 7, 2013

Excellent work. Good recipe writing takes time, can wake you up in the middle of the night, may require do-overs. Keep it up!

Midge
Midge March 7, 2013

Way to go LBC!

ChefJune March 7, 2013

That's an impressive recipe all around. Am especially coveting an already-made recipe of the dough. Curious what other fillings you have used. I'm envisioning limitless possibilities! Merci bien, Mindy!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 7, 2013

primarily beef empanadas- both small hors d'oeuvre size, and the 6" large ones. pas de quoi, june!(as my dad used to say, facetiously, "Pass duh qwoy")!