sourdough hot cross buns?

I would like to make some hot cross buns, but I can't be bothered to go out to the shop and buy yeast. I have a nice active sourdough starter at home. Any ideas how I can make some decent hot cross buns with sourdough instead of commercial yeast?

Got a good recipe?

Also, any good ideas on how to candy peal with honey instead of sugar?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I would suggest adapting your favorite SD bread recipe to the buns, rather than the other way around. First, use AP flour rather than bread flour; use warm milk in place of water, add some butter and a couple of eggs (you may need some more flour if the dough is too sticky), some sugar; and finally, spice it up with some allspice and nutmeg, and add some soaked and drained currants. How does that sound?

That sounds like a good thing for you to try in MY kitchen Cynthia! :-) I have a starter ...

Tell me when!

Sadassa_Ulna

I found this on the freshloaf wesite: "substitute 140g of starter for a packet of yeast and subtract 70g from both the water and flour components of the recipe" - this is based on a 100% hydration starter.

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris