🔕 🔔

Leavening Challenge!

I am working on some variations on a recipe i developed, and i think i transcribed a mistake.This scone recipe calls for
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 c quick oats
1/2 c dk br sugar
1 T bak powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 c. buttermilk
1 egg
2/3 c.butter

Here's the quandary: I made a note that says "if you have buttermilk, use 1 tsp crm of tartar; if you only have milk, use 1/2 tsp crm of tartar. I think i made a mistake?! My research into leaveners says that 1/3 buttermilk can be made by combining 1/3 c. milk and a pinch over 1/2 tsp. crm of tartar so doesn't it seem that i don't need ANY crm of tartar if i have buttermilk? or do i need it for the acid in the brown sugar? sisters, i am conFUSED!

asked by LE BEC FIN about 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Maybe you meant to write baking soda instead of cream of tartar? Your note makes sense with b.s. instead of c.o.t.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

In general I think it would be the reverse - that if you HAVE buttermilk then you only need 1/2 tsp. c.o.t., but if using regular milk then use a whole tsp., because c.o.t. is acidic as is buttermilk.

I've never seen a recipe which calls solely for cream of tartar as a leavening agent. Single-acting baking soda can be made from equal parts COT and baking soda. I would suggest adding 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. On another note, the quantity of buttermilk looks low; if the dough seems dry, add some more.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Also, the link below has interesting read pertaining to your situation/question, may be of help now and in the future, too :)
http://www.kingarthurflour...