What is the best way to keep the sourdough starter?

I have a recipe for Amish Friendship Cake BUT I need to make new starter. I found the recipe for the sourdough starter BUT how do I store it so I don't have to always start from scratch?

asked by Maureen 2707 over 5 years ago

I keep my starter in a mason jar in the fridge. I feed it once every week or two. If you keep it on the counter, you'll need to fee it daily.

Maureen 2707

Thank you. Just a quick clarification - when I feed it is it necessary to remove about 1/2 of the old and use it or throw it out?

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

You don't ever need to toss out old starter. use it to bake crackers or just generic loaf of bread.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

The reason you throw out 1/2 the starter is because it can outgrow its container (and make quite a mess in your fridge). So you don't need to do this every time - keep the starter at about the halfway mark for the container and you're good.