🔕 🔔

Sourdough Starter

We're going on a long road trip, and I have a wonderful sourdough starter that I want to survive our absence. What is the best way to keep a starter for a month without feeding it? Will freezing work?

asked by petitbleu over 5 years ago

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Just refresh it right before you leave and refrigerate it. It will be fine!

If you are gone for a month, I think you might need to freeze it. Perhaps freeze half and keep the other half in the refrigerator to hedge your bets. I would also check a book on baking artisianal breads to see what is recommended.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

It should be fine, but I'd freeze some as Maedl said just to be safe. I've read somewhere that you can freeze for up to a couple of months and be ok.

When you return, keep them out at room temp for a few days, feeding daily, to get the guys going again.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I think an important thing to consider would be how wet you leave it. Depending on what your typical proportion is, you may want to set aside a ja with slightly higher water content and one that is on the dryer side. Maybe feed it a double dose for a while before you leave so you have ample amount to try. In general yeast is not killed by even a very low temperature. It would be great if you have a minute to share how it goes once you get back :). And I'd say definately sterilize the jars for the portion you leave out of the freezer to lessen your margin of side effect error.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Thanks, boulangere! Yes, I have kept it alive for too long to just leave it for dead. I'll try the freezing method.

Have a great trip and when you get back, tell us all about the foods you ate.