Characteristic humps on Madeleines?

Everytime I bake my madeleines they come out different. They always taste great, but they are often missing their hump. I have tired many different techniques but really seem to work. Could filling the pans to full be the cause of the problem?

asked by GavinAvery over 5 years ago

petitbleu

Have you tried refrigerating the batter for a little while (about 30 minutes) before baking? If you refrigerate it to firm it up a bit, then mound a tablespoon of batter in each depression in the madeleine pan. Don't spread the batter. This should help with the hump!

GavinAvery

I have refrigerated the batter and this method works sometime or only on a few in the batch.

petitbleu

How much batter are you putting in each depression? Also, what recipe are you using, or have you been using different ones?

GavinAvery

I have been using Dorrie Greenspan's recipe and filling the molds just about to the top.

Here's what Dorie Greenspan has to say--let the batter rest, and pre-heat the pan: http://www.doriegreenspan...

Dona

I followed the link to Dorie Greenspan's post about Madelines. Are they supposed to be THAT humpyy? I've been doing to wrong all these years. That is some big humps!

john Garrett

chill your molds