Pound Cake Problems

My pound cake I always make has been tasting metallic/ fishy lately. I can't figure it out. I use pam baking spray to grease the pans... I haven't changed anything in the recipe.

asked by Kristi Rittenhouse almost 4 years ago

vvvanessa

Does that mean it's happened more than once? Has the Pam gone bad? Maybe it's an issue with the baking powder, which can sometimes give a funky taste if there is too much of it. Does the pan need a goods scrubbing out because of oily residue, which can also impart a weird taste?

KimmyV

I agree with vvanessa. It might be the baking powder. I bought some aluminum free baking powder at traders joes once and my pancakes tasted fine the first time, but after that they tasted horribly metallic. It was the parking powder. I threw it out and found a different brand.

Is the Pam spray made with canola oil? Canola can have a fishy almost metallic odor to it which is why I don't really like to use. I've learned over the years that nothing is better than butter for greasing cake pans. With butter, I never worry about my baked goods sticking. Best tip ever given: save the wrappers from the butter sticks and use them to grease your pans.

Kristi Rittenhouse

That's good to know about the spray! It does have canola oil. I haven't had problems with it until recently! Back to butter to see if that does the trick! Thanks

Pam spray creates a permanent coating on any surface where you use it. Washing doesn't remove all of it. I found over time that the build up created an unpleasant odor and funky taste to whatever was made in/on those pans. I had to replace them. Spray-on oils are very handy, but not a good idea. Ruins your pans, spoils the food. Better to go the old "butter-paper " route.

Kristi Rittenhouse

I think it must be a build up like you said! I always thought the pans looked clean but I'm sure it does build up over time! I had no idea! Back to butter! Thanks

maryGpastorek

Check the amount of baking soda your recipe calls for. Too much baking soda will leave a metallic taste in your baked goods.