Oatmeal leftover

Any good uses for leftover oatmeal? = cooked steal-cut oats. Some baking recipes would be ideal...

Sam1148 April 5, 2013

How about a version of scallion pancakes. Using the cooked oats as an extender. Or just fried in balls with seafood and scallion.

petitbleu
petitbleu April 5, 2013

You could, as Sam suggests, add seasonings and maybe a little binder depending on how well the mixture is holding together and fry up little cakes of the cooked oatmeal. You could also put them in any quick breads, muffins, sweet pancakes or waffles, etc. They won't add a lot of flavor, but they will add some texture, and it's better than throwing them away.

peicook
peicook April 5, 2013

I actually always plan for some leftovers. Oatmeal is fantastic reheated with a bit of milk and a few raisins for a good 3 days. There seems to be no perceptible change in,texture so we make a large batch every 3 or 4 days.

Miss Carolyn
Miss Carolyn April 6, 2013

The Joy of Cooking has a recipe for oatmeal pancakes. I then add raspberries of blueberries They are delicious, a little more filling and you don't feel as guilty. I'll make a full batch on Sunday morning save the leftovers for during the week. Pancakes do extremely well being reheated in the toaster.

Tokyo bakephile
Tokyo bakephile April 9, 2013

Thank you everyone, I liked the idea of Sam and tried making "tuna oatmeal fried cake", with some scallion, tuna, Parmesan and seasoning. It transformed a good starter for weekend dinner. And it was nice to know when I am not in mood to make something new, I can always save and have it reheated. Thank you again:-)

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo April 9, 2013

I make from scratch with steal-cut oats, then freeze===http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-seared-oatmeal-with-warm-fruit-compote-cider-syrup-10000000642369/.
I'm in HigashiYamato-shi. Are you close by?