🔕 🔔

Tofu, not smelly or out of date but slimy. OK to eat?

It's good till may, smells like tofu, washed off fine, but came out of the package covered in slime. Edible?

asked by Elizabiete over 4 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I don't know, I go by the mantra if in doubt, throw it out. Slimy tofu just sounds so unappetizing.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Based on reading that goes back 30+ years, you can cut away the slimy part if there is firm tofu underneath. It happens occasionally, usually because the tofu was not under water and/or the water was not changed. However, if you opened a tub of commercial tofu from a sealed package and found a slimy surface, I would suspect that the seal on the package was bad -- in that case I would be concerned about contamination, and compost it.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Not sure if this applies or not: The date on tofu is only valid for an unopened package. Void as it is of any preservative qualities and ingredients, it has a very limited safe lifespan once the seal has been broken.

Note that bacteria and molds can penetrate deep into soft foods. On the other hand, if you're going to cook it to a safe temperature and it smells fine, I don't see how it could be any riskier than raw chicken.

Thanks! The texture was weird too so I pitched it. I suspect the package wasn't properly sealed.

A word to the wise: the more the processed (as in tofu), the more the opportunity for bacterial contamination.

slimy means spoiled as far as my experiences go.