Fresh Eggs

My friend gave me eggs from his chickens he raises in his backyard, what is the best way to enjoy eggs as fresh as these?

Brette Warshaw
Brette Warshaw April 12, 2013

Fried eggs on toast!

happycao
happycao April 12, 2013

Nice! Would I be wasting them by using them in baked goods?

CHeeb
CHeeb April 12, 2013

Hollandaise,poached,soft boiled with toast soldiers ( I prefer five minutes in simmering water) egg salad...they will all be good with fresh eggs...NJOY...ch

SeaJambon
SeaJambon April 12, 2013

Yes - a waste for baked goods (except, perhaps a custard). Think of things where the egg flavor is accentuated.

Voted the Best Reply!

pierino April 12, 2013

Eggs, believe it or not, are just about the hardest thing for a cook to get right. It becomes sort of the measure you judge young cooks by. My own preference is for poached eggs but a softly fried egg with a runny yolk which might complement something else on the entire platform---anything from hash browns to bipimbap to frisee aux lardons---well, that's that.

FutureChef
FutureChef April 13, 2013

Agreed! Chef Wylie Dufresne (wd-50) is an egg-nut! His 'eggs benedict' is awesome but you'd need some special foodstuffs to replicate that dish.
Rumor has it that's his test when people are trying out at his restaurant.

lloreen
lloreen April 13, 2013

Fresh eggs really shine in the simplest of preparations. Scrambled very slowly over low heat in butter with a tablespoon or two of cream - or an herb omelette. I remember the first time I tasted a fresh farm egg and marveled at the bright yellow yolk. Such a revelation after those tasteless watery factory eggs.
Save those fresh eggs for a luxurious breakfast.

Raudi
Raudi April 13, 2013

For breakfast: soft boiled with buttered toast, a cup of freshly brewed coffee, outside on the porch in the morning sun. Preferable on a Sunday with some friends;-)