🔕 🔔

Maine Lake Trout - togue

My Maine man caught a 3-4 lb togue this afternoon. Togue is also known as lake trout. It is coming tomorrow. I am flexible but thinking I would like to flavor and grill it. I grew up in Maine, and like the fish, moved to Boston. I have had great smoked togue but I am not quite up to that. Your suggestions don't have to be suggestive but I live in Dorchester and could use a laugh.

asked by mainesoul over 4 years ago

Hey Dorchester. So glad Boston can begin to return to normal. I love fresh fish and no matter what I try, I always wish I'd done less rather than more. Grill with a light brush of olive oil, salt and pepper. 3-4 minutes starting skin-side down until dark and getting pretty crispy. Then flip very gently and another 2-3 minutes to finish. Drizzle with lemon butter and some chopped parsley. For almondine, toast some almonds in a fry pan, scatter them over the fish, then drizzle with the lemon butter. Serve immediately. Actually, faster than immediately.

Since your trout is a decent size, it’s nice to butterfly it so you don’t have to deal with bones while eating. (And it makes more surface for butter/lemon!) It sounds like you know your way around a fish but I’m sure you could find good instructions on butterflying via a Google search. Not hard but a sharpened knife helps.

One of my aunts made trout stuffed with bluefish pate, grilled or pan-fried. I know it sounds weird but the fatty bluefish made for great flavor and moisture. I know she was just being her New England self and cleaning out the fridge, and could not bring herself to throw out the leftover paté – she made and sold that so always had tons of it. Now I’ll have to go find her bluefish recipe.

Take care and glad things are quieter now. I was in NYC on some bad days and know it’s hard. Cooking is comfort. Enjoy your togue!

78f24c74 4792 4eca 8199 b48a8da4f58c  stringio

Thank you Pegeen. I just saw this now and so it is too late for this toque. I love the idea of the bluefish pate and will keep that in mind for another time. I bet make a great stuffing for fish. I just filled it with sliced meyer lemon, onions and butter with a little black and red pepper. It was good and moist but not creative. It did filet beautifully.

next time add a couple of scallions quartered lengthwise to the lemons instead of regular onions, and maybe some slivered garlic. it wakes the fish up a bit.