🔕 🔔

Chives substitute??

Doing a smoked trout salad with creme fraiche on crostini. Alas all the chives are sold out! Can I use the green parts of scallions? Other suggestions?

asked by Cfrancke over 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Absolutely -- that would work very well. If you have a shallot, a minced shallot would also work.

692ef7bd 3055 414a ab8e a847e9887647  dsc 3783

Thank you!! Sorry for double question- tried you on twitter too! First time pickler :)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Minced scallion is fine - but use more sparingly than chives as it has a stronger and could overpower the delicate taste of the trout.

Oops - stronger flavor. If that wasn't obvious - too fast on the 'submit answer' finger ;)

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Grated shallot works too, but be sparing with it!

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I just want to put in a plug for growing chives--they've always been petty productive for me in New York, Iowa, and Northern California, and given that you usually use a couple snips at a time it works out well as a pot herb.

Absolutely. And mine came back this spring, from last year!

Ditto about growing chives. I've had a pot for years that just keeps coming back - we joke that it's a science fiction plant, because even I can't kill it (I have the opposite of a green thumb - he thumb of death?) It's a blessing, because I love chives and even a small bunch is ridiculously expensive at the market.

Shallots would work, but wouldn't give you the pretty green I'm guessing you'd prefer. Be sure to chop those scallion tops really fine, and go easy on them. If you have any fennel in your crisper, the fornds make a green and light tasting garnish. I use them a lot with fish.

Wholefoods user icon

It is spring and at least in the Washington Dc area we have millions of wild onion sprouts all over. they have a chive like flavor and are completely edible. just don't forrage for them where people walk their dogs....eww
they look just like chives.