I have some smoked trout which needs eating today and have no idea what to do with it

asked by @djgraeme83 about 8 years ago

healthierkitchen

I just posted a trout pate...

Great with a glass of wine

Bagels, creamed cheese plus smoked trout. Or an omelet.

Almost anything you'd do with smoked salmon - great with eggs ( softly scrambled, an omelette, a variation of eggs benedict with trout instead of the canadian bacon); atop a potato pancake or thin slice of black bread, with a dab of sour cream or creme fraiche and snipped chives and/or dill; in a salad with sliced apple and a green with some bite (watercress and endive work well)...

leftoverquiche

I agree, great with eggs. Or just a quick appetizer. Put with crackers and top with a cuke dill sauce. Plain yogurt, diced cucumber, dill and lemon.

TheWimpyVegetarian

I make smoked trout-cakes by combining 1 1/2 cups flakes smoked trout, 1/2 cup finely chopped crisp apple like Granny Smiths, 2 Tbsp chopped scallions, 2 tsp capers, 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel, 1 egg, 1/4 cup whipping cream, a few twists of ground pepper and 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs. Saute as you would crabcakes a few minutes / side. I serve them with a horseradish dressing.

'orseradish dressing? You are speaking my language! Just prepared some this morning for smoked salmon. It helps to have creme fraiche and fresh 'orseradish in your fridge, just in case...

TheWimpyVegetarian

I'm with ya!

I almost always have a little smoked trout in my refrigerator. It's a great addition to a dinner salad--our most recent one included chopped Marcona almonds, oil-cured olives, and avocados. Healthierkitchen's trout pate is a lot like mine. And if I don't have time to make a pate, I just smear a little cream cheese or other soft, mild cheese on a slice of baguette and top it with a little smoked trout.

HandRocksLadle

Eat on a cracker and top with capers and fresh squeezes of lemon and lime.