🔕 🔔

New ideas for grilled chicken breasts

Grilling is here, and with it, the ubiquitous boneless skinless chicken breast. I'm looking for some new ideas for grilled chicken. Seems I'm hitting the wall--beyond some basic marinades I'm stuck.
Ideas for sides for grilled chicken breasts will be appreciated! And I do know lots of you prefer chicken thighs, but unfortunately I have an aversion to them.

asked by ATL over 3 years ago

Grilled chicken breasts easily take a trip around the world. Cilantro, garlic, lime, salt, and a little bit of neutral oil for fajitas served with tortillas grilled onions & peppers. Flattened and marinated with garlic, onions, olive oil and oregano and served over pasta. A little fish sauce, lime, neutral oil, garlic and serve as satay with peanut dipping sauce, wrap in lettuce with cold rice noodles, cucumber, siracha. Curry marinade and grilled nan. You get the picture, the possibilities are endless and simple.

926ee962 060e 44e6 a1d9 878262f34bf8  image

Chicken tandoori

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Unfortunately skinless boneless chicken breasts are not great grilled. Why? Because they are skinless and boneless. You are sacraficing most of the flavor. One possibilty is to marinade them in citrus juice---like lime. Season with pepper and salt. Don't leave them in the marinade for too long or the citrus flavor will be too intense. Good sides are rice in some form or french fries.

0429ac74 3511 4859 a027 f54dd7e9f90f  6 14 4 053

First, poach them in stock with herbs on your stove top.
Then grill them (quickly) to finish with a smokey flavor.
You can use a lemon/butter/mint sauce..or a good old fashioned
BBQ sauce!

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

You might also consider trying to find skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts. Not as common, but worth the hunt. The bones help insulate the meat, preventing it from drying out, and the skin is just delicious. Period.
We love a marinade of tons of lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, paprika, and herbs with very little oil (too much oil and your chicken tastes like burnt oil). If the skin is on you can ease the marinade underneath the skin.

Tried this on the grill last night for company and it was a hit! Can't wait to have the leftovers today. Thanks for the tips.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Have you tried brining? It helps our ubiquitous friends ... start with a basic brine (salt, sugar, water) and then add in any flavors (I like bay, citrus, sometimes a cinnamon stick, always peppercorns, but really go crazy) you can brine them even just for a couple hours but starting in the morning is better. Then - you can create a second layer of flavor with a brushed on baste of olive oil and the flavors you brined in while they grill - so say a citrus zest garlic and pepper oil brushed on while they grill. This gives you a chance at actual juicy flavorful chicken breasts!