Banana Bread French Toast

I had delicious banana bread french toast at a restaurant for Mother's day. I am going to try to replicate the recipe at home. A friend is going to make the banana bread, but from there, I need recommendations for the french toast aspect. I plan to use eggs, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg and powdered sugar. I might use vanilla as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on proportions of the above? Any advice in general?

Cristina Sciarra
Cristina Sciarra May 14, 2013

This might be a good place to start: http://smittenkitchen.com...

ATG117
ATG117 May 15, 2013

I think you can start with 3 eggs and 1 1/2 cups of milk whisked together. I'd skip any sugar or spices, since you'll want the flavor of the banana bread to shine through. Plus, you'll want to avoid making an already sweetened cake overly sweet. Fry up the bread, once coated in egg, as you would any french toast. Top with fresh whipped cream and sprinkle with powdered sugar or maple syrup as needed.

ATG117
ATG117 May 15, 2013

also, be sure to toast the slices of the banana bread before starting. This way, it will be able to absorb the custard