Merrill's Banana Bread - question: too moist?

I made Merrill's Banana Bread the other night (https://food52.com/recipes...) with a few modifications, and it turned out delicious - but maybe a bit too moist. I used coconut sugar instead of regular sugar, Bob's Red Mill almond meal/flour instead of all-purpose flour, 4 bananas instead of 3 because I thought they were not that large, and added 1/2 cup walnuts and 1 tsp vanilla extract.

The baking directions say 45-55 mins, I ended up leaving it in for about 1 hour 10 mins, but now I'm wondering if it needed a bit more time in the oven, as the bread is very moist and doesn't stay together perfectly when you cut off a slice.

What can I do differently to dry it out a bit more? Should I bake it longer? Or maybe use 3 bananas instead of 4? I'd like to make it again tonight to take with me as a gift for someone tomorrow.

Thank you!

asked by Sarah E. about 3 years ago

Dare I suggest you make it once as written, and then decide if it is too moist...then if needed, make modifications on that.
Just saying ;)

Sarah E.

Ha yes! I will eventually - just needed to make this one gluten free! It's still yummy :)

I think your issues are the extra banana and the almond meal. The banana obviously adds moisture. The almond meal is not flour; it's basically fat. So more moisture. And no all purpose flour means that there's no way for gluten to develop, and gluten is basically the glue that holds everything together. So what you made was more pudding than bread. I agree with Nancy about following the recipe first, but if you have to make it gluten free, consider using a product like cup4 cup that's been specifically developed to replace all purpose flour. I hope this helps.

Sarah E.

Thank you!