Brunch on the fly

Friends are coming for brunch in just under 4 hours. Plan was to go to the "gourmet" market (it is nice) in town and pick up stuff (quiche etc), and make bacon (a friend bringing fruit). Guess what? In the midst of a busy week I didn't check and the market doesn't open until right when my guests are slated to arrive. I know, I know -- really poor planning on my part but help!! Brunch food is not my forte. There's a Whole Paycheck not far away and a bagel shop?

sexyLAMBCHOPx May 18, 2013

Bagels and lox or salmon. Buy cream cheese(s), capers, tomato onion

Monita May 18, 2013

How about a fritatta: http://food52.com/recipes... or French toast (http://food52.com/recipes...).
For a no-cooking options: get a variety of bagels; different spreads; make a cheese platter; large vegetable salad and fruit bowl with Greek yogurt

Kristen W.
Kristen W. May 18, 2013

Just made this, it was delicious: zucchini and red pepper tart:

Make or buy a savory tart crust, lay it , uncooked, in a tart (or pie) pan
Sauté a sliced onion with 2 or 3 zucchini sliced thinly
Pour the mixture into the raw crust
Mix 3 eggs with about 1/2 cup Parmesan , salt, and pepper
Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the pie shell
Cut one red bell pepper into thin slices, toss it with a little EVOO, and place slices in a pinwheel pattern over the top of the tart, pressing gently into the egg to make it stick
Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, until crust is golden and center of tart has domed a little.
Lovely and delicious!

Kristen W.
Kristen W. May 18, 2013

Oops, just saw that when I answered, your post was already 3 hours old -- oh we'll!

PazzoNico
PazzoNico May 18, 2013

Well first you have to pick a fly you like. Catch it. Tie it down. Then make bacon and eggs and serve them on his back.

(Sorry I couldn't resist.)

MTMitchell
MTMitchell May 18, 2013

Haha!!! I hadn't even thought of that!

MTMitchell
MTMitchell May 18, 2013

Great help! Thanks! I got some bagels and lox, bought a pie crust and made a quiche inspired by the frittata above and of course bacon. And mimosas and coffee. So now I feel like I can do brunch without relying on the market (even though I bought most of the components....!). It was a lovely morning.