🔕 🔔

Homemade yogurt didn't thicken up- anything I can do to salvage it?

I made yogurt last week using the overnight-in-warm-oven method and it worked great. I tried to make another batch last night and it didn't thicken up properly- there were a few curds in a milky, not-whey like liquid. Can I try again with this failed yogurt, or do I need to throw it out?

asked by arielleclementine over 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Found this great website, here is what she has to say about this:
If you wake up in the morning and your yogurt is still thin, the first thing to do is to put it back and wait a few more hours, since acid content, which is responsible for the thickening, will continue to increase with time. If after 12 hours your yogurt is still the consistency of milk, this means that it wasn’t kept warm enough during the incubation. Consider improving your incubation method or trying a different one.
Meanwhile, failed yogurt can be salvaged by re-heating it carefully over low heat back to 110 degrees and incubating it for the second time.

Here is the link to the post, it's interesting: http://girlsguidetobutter...

3fdd943e 2b86 46c7 b573 b038b89b9d6f  henrykiss

This is fantastic! Thank you so much! I'll try to reincubate and report back!

Yes please let us know if it works. I hope it does!

I reincubated for about 8 hours last night and it worked!! Super thick yogurt this morning! Thanks so much for your help!!

Thats fantastic!!

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Friends and neighbors like yogurt leftovers, ahem, just FYI :-)

Haha, Abbie! Anytime! Thursdays are raw milk delivery days- let me know if you want to try some of mine!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I used to make yogurt with goat's milk. At the time I was experienced with cow's milk (pastuerized) yogurt, so I used the same technique, and it wouldn't set. Maybe if Suzanne had been around (and the internet) I would have had her good advice, but what overcame the problem then was adding agar agar to it, and all was well. ...just in case!

You may not be able to remake the bad yogurt, but I suggest you divide it into two parts and then leave one part in the fridge and add the other part to freshly heated milk then add half the amount of culture to it then let it set in the oven. This should work and you don't have to waste the milk-yogurt I make my yogurt all the time in my MEC pure clay pot the results are consistent each time. I learned how to make it from here : https://miriamsearthencookware...

33e25d52 5218 43ce 90a0 2594e74625ed  yogurt

Cav

Three year old yogurt is probably well beyond saving.

I was excited to prepare my yoghurt after reading online about the recipe and processes but I became nervous because my yoghurt didn't set at all after 7 hours of incubation. What could have caused that?

C5c94fdb 20cc 4cf0 bba1 209e7280842a  stringio

Also if you have a homemade yogurt that you want to thicken up (Greek-Style) just pour the yogurt into a 2-3 layers of cheesecloth. Make a "purse" and then use the loose ends of the cheesecloth to tie it around your faucet. Let it hang overnight and in the morning you'll have super thick yogurt!