🔕 🔔

Making Kefir

I am completely new to kefir making.So far I have made 2 batches and have been thrilled, but just want to check something. I was gifted the kefir grains a few days ago. I ran cold water over them in a colander(my friend suggested that, because the grains had been in a car all day while she was at work), then i put them in a glass quart jar and added maybe 2-3 cups whole milk, covered w/ a cloth (fastened with a rubber band). After the mixture had thickened at room temp, 2 days, I poured the kefir through a plastic colander and removed the grains back to the same jar, added milk and am repeating. My question is that the mixture that goes through the colander is kind of buttermilk thick, and is grainy. I will always be adding fruit to it for a breakfast drink and so it has all come together once blenderized. But is that graininess what i should be seeing, or have i not let it thicken long enough? The 2 kefir batches i have made have tasted tart but not overly tart.yummola. this is aLOT easier than yoghurt (when i made it 40 yrs ago!) thx for your help.

asked by LE BEC FIN over 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I read that when you make kefir the first few batches are more grainy it can take up to 8 times before it becomes really creamy, the more you re use the grains the creamier your kefir will be. Someone said that you can whiz in the blender and that would help but the general consensus was that you just need to be patient and keep using those grains as it will get more creamy with time.

This site is helpful also regarding kefir http://foodloveswriting...

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

suzanne, you is de BEST!! thanks so much!