🔕 🔔

I have two bunches of fresh radishes - what's your favorite way to eat them?

asked by saltandpeppersf over 4 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Pickle'em or Slice'em thin in salads.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I love radishes straight up, with good butter and sea salt, in salsas and slaws, on sandwiches, with lox and sour cream, roasted...They're great alongside rich foods as a foil to big flavors.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

There's a great radish salad served at the restaurant Grüner in Portland that's composed of shaved radishes, herbs, and pumpkin seed oil. It's fantastic. Here is my knock-off of the salad: http://food52.com/recipes...
The recipe for the actual salad is in Secrets of the Best Chefs by Adam Roberts.

I never liked radishes in any form until I tried roasting them.

This recipe, posted by my darling little sister, is outstanding: (Roasted Radishes and Root Vegetables with Rosemary and Mustard) http://food52.com/recipes...

As is this one (Roasted Spring Root Veggies with Horseradish Thyme Butter):
http://food52.com/recipes... .
So delicious, both of them. ;o)

I can second AJ's suggestion for the Roasted Spring Root Veggies -- it is quite delicious!

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Amanda's radish and grain salad is one of my new recipe finds on food52. It sounds fairly conventional, but the combination of ingredients really sings: http://food52.com/recipes...

I like to slice them communion wafer thin on the mandoline and incorporate them into a pan bagnat with really good tuna, tomato, basil and a generous amount of high end olive oil. For something a little different you can substitute watercress for the basil. Pan bagnat means "bathed bread", so it's going to be wet. It's supposed to be.

Smashed Radishes - pound each one lightly with hammer so it cracks but doesn't break apart. Marinate for no longer than half an hour in a few Tbsp of mirin (or rice vinegar sweetened with sugar) and soy sauce. Drain then sprinkle with toasted sesame oil. Great picnic snack.

Don't know where I saw this (TheKitchn, maybe), but I love dipping smallish whole radishes in melted butter, then sprinkling with a little sea salt, let the butter set. It's fancy pancy looking and tastes great.