Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

millet flour

does anyone have some wisdom to share for using this? I've tried it in several baking projects, but to no success, results tend to be more crumbly/dry than other flours. Thinking maybe roti would be a better approach? Any recipe ideas?

asked by alasully over 3 years ago
67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I love millet, but I prefer working with the whole grain versus the flour. Millet pearls are great in granola; they add a nice crunchy topping to wholegrain muffin. Millet flour would be best subbed for a crumbly application-like in a shortbread or a tart. I'd recommend reading "Good to the Grain" by Kim Boyce. She advocates using a blend of millet with other whole grain flours-- it really needs support for best results with baking. Kim Boyce has a recipe for Kamut & Millet challah which is to die for and makes exceptionally good french toast.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Anytime you bake with GF flours, be sure to use a blend--for instance, use a combination of millet flour, rice flour, cornstarch, and potato starch. You need those starches to help the resulting baked goods hold together and prevent graininess. You may even want a smidgen of xanthan gum, which mimics the effects of gluten in wheat flour.