Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

almond meal, gluten free flour or wheat flour for waffles

Does almond meal tend to dry out faster than regular flour in baked goods? Does gluten free dry out faster as well? What about a mixture of the two? I have been mixing almond meal with both regular flour and gluten free and it seems to dry out by the next day. Does anyone know a good ratio? I was trying to cut down on the amount of regular flour, but not at the expense of having dry waffles!

asked by JennF over 4 years ago
Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I'm not sure what you mean by "dry out faster" but GF flours do tend to create a drier result (or crispier). If you are looking for something that gets softer a day later (?), then you might add some brown sugar -- brown sugar absorbs moisture from the air around it, so cookies and other baked items with brown sugar actually get softer with time. Tight packaging is equally important for items prepared with "regular" and GF flours (i.e., think how dry and stale regular bread is after one day if not kept tightly wrapped).

Does this help? Again, I'm not 100% sure what you are asking -- if it is the flour itself or the baked good that you are worried about drying out... (waffles are eaten within minutes of being prepared at my house, so that could be part of my confusion...)

I make a whole bunch of waffles at once and they taste crispy and good the first day, but tend to be dry even the next day. I wasn't wanting it softer per se (I still like crispy on the outside), but just not so dried out on the inside. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I was just wondering if it was the flours (instead of 100% wheat flour) that was making them dry out.

Could you post the ingredients and quantities you are using? I think you may not be including enough fat. Is that possible?

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Have you tried freezing the waffles that you want for another day? I know there are gluten free waffles sold frozen, made by natural product companies (so there are no preservatives or other intrusions), and they are delicious.

I would agree with Susan G that freezing what you don't use immediately might be the answer for any waffles not eaten immediately.