A question about a recipe: Smoky Minestrone with Tortellini and Parsley or Basil Pesto

I have a question about the recipe "Smoky Minestrone with Tortellini and Parsley or Basil Pesto" from WinnieAb. If you are going to make this vegetarian, would you add smoked paprika instead of the bacon?

Lost_in_NYC
Lost_in_NYC June 9, 2013

That seems like a good alternative.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich June 9, 2013

I think that sounds brilliant!

ATG117
ATG117 June 9, 2013

I'd probably just leave out the bacon. I think it has enough flavor contrast going on even without it.

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria June 10, 2013

I agree with ATG117. I've made this soup without the bacon, making no subsitutions, and it is absolutely delicious as a vegetarian soup. Don't omit garnishing with the pesto -- the pesto really elevates this soup into something special. Hope that you enjoy! :)

Scottsdale Bubbe
Scottsdale Bubbe June 10, 2013

We make vegetarian black eyed peas and use either liquid smoke or smoked salt. Most smoked paprika that I have purchased is pretty wimpy in the smoked flavor department.

pierino June 10, 2013

Liquid smoke isn't a bad idea (in moderation) but good, authentic, Spanish smoked pimenton is definitely not wimpy. You won't find it in your supermarket though.

MaddyBelle
MaddyBelle June 13, 2013

You could also roast some of the vegetables and get a little char on them to amp up the flavor and get a little bit of smokiness. For this recipe, I might roast the zucchini before adding it. Otherwise it looks like the recipe should have plenty of flavor even without bacon!

Horto
Horto May 30, 2014

tr y sun dried tomatoes
that' s my go to bacon sub