Can anyone recommend a food processor with a small insert?

The sorbet mixture just overflowed my ancient Cuisinart, and this isn't the first time the tiny bowl gave me fits. I'd like a larger capacity machine, but one with a small insert bowl for times when you just need to process a small amount. Any brand/model recommendations for me?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I bought this one a few years ago http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KFP750OB-700-Watt-12-Cup-Processor/dp/B0002MH3OC/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1371291676&sr=1-2&keywords=kitchenaid+food+processor
(Kitchen Aid) and I'm very happy with it.

I have the cuisinart elite 16 cup it has a smaller bowl, love it!! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-elite-die-cast-16-cup-food-processor/?pkey=cfood-processors&

healthierkitchen

I have this one too - it has three bowl sizes. I'm very happy with it.

First, a food processor is not the best vehicle for preparing sorbet, but if you if you need to update your processor with a small bowl attachment I would go with KitchenAid. Still, a blender works better for a sorbet mix. A good blender and not the one you use for Jaggermeister Red Bull mojitos and so on.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thank you, Barbara and Suzanne!

No, I realize that, Pierino, but I don't have a blender (I have ordered one from amazon, however!) and my stick blender kept clogging up with basil leaves instead of pureeing them. I have no idea what a Jaggermeister Red Bull mojito is, but somehow, I don't think I'd like it...

Diana B, unless you are 22 years old you don't even want to know what that mojito is. Focus on your blender.

I have a 8 cup cuisinart that has one insert and it's not practical for me. I find the insert can be very difficult to remove and sometimes you still end up having to wash the entire unit. I found space on my counter top for a small "mini-prep" that used quite often--perfect size for hummus, dressings etc. and it's easy to put in the dishwasher for clean up.

I'll drag my large one out for large jobs...but the insert was useless for me.

ChefOno

I'm not too sure about that, Pierino. I just wrecked a batch of cherry sorbet by beating too much air into it with a blender. I ended up with frozen mousse…

As for food processors, I'm spitting mad at Cuisenart and KitchenAid for their so-called top of the line models which both trap food particles in their lids (which can't be disassembled for cleaning). I think Cook's Illustrated is still using KitchenAid's KFP750 which comes with a 4-cup insert.

ChefOno my friend, I respect your expertise but I just finished off a raspberry based sorbet which began in the blender and was completed in an cuisinart ice cream maker. I must add that I'm not the biggest fan of cuisinart products but despite the small capacity (1 1/2 quart)it makes a pretty decent sorbet. And sorbets and granita are just about the easiest frozen dessert you can think up.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Pierino, I celebrate my 43rd anniversary of becoming 22 later this year, so I will definitely focus on the blender... And I, too, love the Cuisinart ice cream maker (as does America's Test Kitchen) - for my purposes, it makes just enough. ChefOno, it doesn't look like KitchenAid still makes the KFP750, although a couple are available overstock.com.