🔕 🔔

caraway seeds

Is there any chance that caraway seeds are like cilantro in the way that they taste different to different people? I absolutely despise them and have ever since I found them in rye bread as a child.

asked by ATG117 over 3 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

What an interesting question! I feel the same way. In fact, someone brought in bagels to my office last week, and I picked up a pumpernickel one thinking, I have to get over this caraway thing. And I just didn't like it. Again. Oh well.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

That's a new wrinkle for me. I understand the cilantro thing (even though I love cilantro) but I hadn't heard this about caraway. I've come to accept that there are certain flavors that some tongues are not adapted to. There are "acquired tastes" and then there are things that are not.

I think taste is a very individual experience. What tastes good to one person may taste awful to someone else. Part of the reason has to do with the number of tastebuds on the tongue. If tastebuds are very dense, your perception of flavor will be very intense. If, on the other hand, your tastebuds are sparse in number, your perception will be milder. People with a moderate number of tastebuds probably enjoy food more than those on the extreme ends of the tastebud spectrum.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I find that caraway almost have an anise-y flavor, and anise is definitely a polarizing flavor. My father-in-law can't eat anything even remotely evocative of anise--even certain varieties of basil are too much for him. I, on the other hand, love caraway, fennel seeds, fresh fennel, etc. but dislike anise liqueurs. Go figure.

Funny, I love anise in all forms. I don't taste it at all in caraway.

I always get sort of 'dill' undertones when I eat something with caraway, not really cilantro (which is very soapy to me; I guess I'm one of those people. I hate not liking it, but I just accept it.).
@petitblue: Right there with you. I really dislike (dare I say "hate") liquorice and anise liqueurs, but I love fennel seeds and fresh fennel. In fact, fennel seeds are one of my most often used spices at home (for meat, pork, chicken, sauces, etc.). It brings that sweet Italian sausage reminiscence to the table.

Anise, dill, fennel and caraway are in the same family, as are cumin (and cilantro), carrots, parsley, and Queen Anne’s Lace.

Interesting. I like anise, fennel, cumin, and the rest. Cilantro and caraway--strong aversion.

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

I hate caraway. Hate. I love fennel, am ok with cilantro. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who asks "is it seeded rye...?" before committing. My mom and my coworker LOVE caraway and think I'm crazy. I will refer them to this question.