doriegreenspan
doriegreenspan

Dorie Greenspan is a food writer and award-winning author of eleven cookbooks, her most recent being Baking Chez Moi.

Hi Marian, I've never made Julia's omelette, but I was sure that a friend of mine, Chef John Bennett of Oklahoma City, had, and I was right! Here's what John had to say:
"I have used Julia's omelette technique since I was a student at the CIA ,then located in New Haven, in the early '60 s. In fact I have an original French Chef
omelette pan from The Pot Shop of Boston that is now 50 years old and it still makes great omelettes.
Julia inspired the owner to have the pan manufactured to her specifications and The Pot Shop still carries it. You can see the pot on the shop's homepage: http://potshopofboston...
and you can also see a video of me demonstrating my original pan."
Thanks, Chef!
Marian, I hope this will help.

My most usual omelette technique is close to Julia's, though I've never really mastered her jerking wrist movements. If you want a real tutorial, I heartily recommend her episode of The French Chef called "The Omelette Show." It ends with here showing you how you and your family members could make omeletts for 300 people in 20 minutes!

As for the dedicated pan, I used to have one, but after the handle fell off (yes, it was pretty old!), I've gotten along fine with both stainless and with non-stick.

Marian Bull

Thanks, Chris! That must have been an awesome pan.

Marian Bull

Thank you so much, Dorie! P.S. I admire you.

Check out Jacques Pepin's video...it's basically the same tech as Julia's.
http://www.youtube.com...

Here's Julia's Omelet show: http://www.youtube.com...

Nice to see you, Dorie. - Another big fan

Sam1148, the video links are great, thanks. Julia's will be the best thing I see all weekend: starting at about 0:50 seconds, love how she dismissively tosses the hinged omelette pan (I've never seen one of those before!) into a drawer. So funny.

Lynda Baxter

I did try Julia's omelette technique in a cast iron chef's frying pan. I didn't think it would work in cast iron, but it did!! It was fun to do! I was thinking of buying the Pot Shop of Boston's pan, glad I tried this first, though that is a gorgeous pan!!!