Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Special meals to make ahead for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day?

Over the last few years I have found that making a stew or pot pie ahead of time and freezing it has made Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so much less stressful for me (I am the main cook for my little family of four and we celebrate Christmas day alone - I really want to be present with my kids and not trying to pull off miracles in the kitchen - but yet, I love a special meal). I'm looking for new ideas to try this year. For the past two years I made Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon ahead and froze it for Christmas Eve, and made Smitten Kitchen White Bean Pancetta Pot Pies for Christmas Day (also made ahead and frozen). Both were very successful - froze well, easy to reheat/bake on the holiday, resulting in a low stress day plus enjoyable holiday comfort food. Any new suggestions for similar wintry comfort foods that are special but would work well to make ahead? (Or which would be otherwise low effort on the actual holiday?) Thanks in advance for suggestions!

asked by Susan about 1 year ago

There's a short rib Ragu recipe on f52 that is super make-ahead friendly and is one of the best things I've ever had. It's full of porcinis and anchovies for an umami overload I make a double batch several times a year and keep loads of it in my freezer and it defrosts so well. It's definitely a few hours of work but defrost it, cook up some pasta or polenta and you've got a delicious meal. Any braises work well though since they're always better the next day I find. Short ribs and lamb shanks come to mind

9fe0c12c e20f 4669 bb88 2c31ee17d5e2  french river

For Christmas morning, my mom always made quiche the night before. It would go in the oven when we started opening presents and be perfectly done and piping hot as we finished. Similarly, my husband's mom would make monkey bread, let it rise in the fridge overnight and bake it in the morning. We have combined the two traditions now and our Christmas breakfast is truly a fantastic feast.

For dinner, if you want a project a few days before hand, tamales are great. You can make them and freeze them, then steam them for dinner. That is my family's traditional Christmas Eve dinner, with pinto beans made in the slow cooker. Everyone is free to enjoy their day and have a delicious dinner. Potpie is great as well. My favorite pot pie (we call it hug in a mug) is from Pam Anderson (recipe: http://threemanycooks.com...) I actually just made it this last Sunday and we've been happily enjoying leftovers all week. Lastly, a great make ahead meal (although not too elegant) is meatloaf... :)

Also - with the tamales, get the kids involved! They are fun to make, set up an assembly line and give every one a job. I have fond memories of being in charge of the olives as a young girl and having grandpa wink at me whenever I sneaked to olives in!

*two olives, not to! I need more coffee this morning...

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

Thank you for sharing the potpie link - sounds wonderful!

I know families get tired of a recipe rotation so predictable they can tell you what they'll be having on Monday all year.
But Christmas seems to be different, and families (or whole cultures) have dishes they repeat and that they love. If you do that, your kids will build associations and memories with those dishes, as FritschKitchen reports for the quiche and monkey bread traditions.
Maybe stick with the Boeuf Bourguignon and White Bean Pot Pies, or find a couple dishes you like better & make them every Christmas until they leave home.
(Then, of course, they'll have something to rebel against...)

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I would recommend a beef brisket - they always taste waaaay better several days after initial cooking anyway and they freeze beautiful. In fact, I've got my Christmas brisket and ham already to go in the freezer already. That way I can focus on making a truly beautiful salad and fresh rolls the day of and just do the re-heating of the main. Good luck!